Home > Permits and Fee for Upper Mustang

Required Permit for Upper Mustang Trek

Upper Mustang is a continuation of Lower Mustang on the Annapurna circuit but the people and landscape here are very different. Formally, and still locally, known as Low State, Upper Mustang was a restricted demilitarized zone until 1992.

This was due to its proximity to Tibet. Even today, local people speak Tibetan language, follow Tibetan culture and preserve Tibetan culture in their homes. After Nepal became a republic in 2008, it lost its state status.

However, Jigme Dorje Palbar Bista, King of Mustang, was still highly respected until his death in December 2016. So you can begin to understand why Upper Mustang takes on the image of a lost kingdom steeped in mythology and rich in culture. .

Especially when it is an area that has less tourists due to its high price entry permit.

Does everyone need permission?
Yes, all non-Nepalese need a permit to enter Upper Mustang.

What kind of permit do I need?
Anyone entering the Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) area requires an entry permit which costs $30 and $10 per person for a single entry into the area but involves a long trek.

There is no restriction on the length of time a person can stay in an ACAP area. Additionally, if one is going to Upper Mustang (from Kagbeni) they need a RAP (Restricted Area Permit).

Cost is $500 per person for 10 days. If longer hours are required, an additional $50 per day is charged. No TIMS or Trekkers Information Management System card is required for Upper Mustang as a Restricted Area Permit (RAP) is sufficient as it provides details of the trekker and his destination. of an emergency or problem.

Upper Mustang Permit Cost Summary:

Restricted Permit Cost: $500 per person for 10 days. If longer is required, an additional $50 per day is charged
ACAP permit: $30 and TIMS $10 per person.

Can I get upper mustang permits on my own?
Trekkers can get TIMS and ACAP permits from the Kathmandu-based Nepal Tourism Board and the Pokhara Tourist Office for the Lower Mustang trek.

Individual hikers cannot obtain a rap permit for Upper Mustang. In fact, no one can trek alone in Upper Mustang. Please also note that an individual guide cannot obtain a permit for a trekker. The rap permit should be taken through a trekking company registered in Nepal.

What do I need to do to get a permit?
For all permits, ACAP, RAP, and TIMS, the trekker must show his original passport (valid for at least six months), current Nepal visa, two passport size photographs, and a scanned copy of the passport size photograph. .
– The rest will be arranged by the registered trekking company.

Please note that in order to enter Upper Mustang, and to obtain a permit to do so, there must be a group of at least two (2) hikers. However, if you are alone and determined to go but cannot find another person or group traveling at the same time, a ghost RAP permit can be issued in another name.

A solo trekker will have to pay an additional $500 for this, for a total of $1,000. This is the only way to enter the forbidden kingdom alone (with a guide of course!).

Upper Mustang Permits in a Nutshell

  • Passport must be valid for at least six months.
  • An original passport and a current visa are required when applying for a permit.
  • Cost is $500 per person, for 10 days, plus $50 per person, per day thereafter.
  • Scan copy of passport size photograph is required.
  • ACAP permit requires a printed passport size photograph.
  • An ACAP permit is also required ($30 per person).
  • TIMS card fee is also required ($10 per person).
  • At least two hikers in a group.
  • A permit is required, and trekkers must go with a registered trekking company.

Also check out our Lower Musta Trek on Cheap Permits – Jomsom Muktinath Trek

Translate »